As a parent, it is only fitting that you always want good things for your little ones.
From ensuring their quality education to getting them vaccinated, you think of everything when it comes to securing your child’s health and future.
But is your home doing the same?
Think about it, your home is the place where your kids spend most of their time. What if it is making them sick? Yes, you read that right.
Your home can actually trigger allergic reactions in your kids, which can affect their health and well-being. And one of the prominent reasons for that could be pest infestation.
According to health experts, having rats, ants, bed bugs, and other pests around your home can literally wreak havoc on your children’s health. Not to mention, they can also cause considerable damage to your home.
Being a parent, the responsibility of bringing up your children into a healthy environment falls on your shoulder. That’s why here we have some tips for you that can help you minimize the risk of pest infestation and exposure. Read on to learn how.
Ants and Roaches
Numerous studies have shown that repeated exposure to cockroaches can trigger symptoms of asthma. Such pets bring in bacteria that can make you and everyone else in the house sick right away.
They contaminate food, and the bacteria they bring along can pose health threats such as diarrhea and food poisoning.
Thus, you need to prevent the entry of ants and roaches and get rid of them in case of infestation.
Here are certain steps that can be taken to ensure your home is free of ants and roaches.
- Look for potential entry points and get them sealed right away. Don’t forget to repair all those leaky pipes.
- Eliminate their food source. This can be done by staying put with your cleaning routine and getting rid of all those food crumbs lying around. Also, make sure that you carefully store food items that attract these pests in air-tight containers. If you have a pet, try not to leave their food out overnight.
- In case of ant infestation, use soapy water and wipe them off with a soapy sponge. This will not only kill them but also eliminate the trails that are followed by other ants.
- For maximum results, you can consider contacting pest control professionals. They will help in understanding the potential reasons for the infestation, identify the species, and, best of all, deploy the right control methods.
According to recent reports, almost all US states are affected by bed bugs. And if you have some in your home, it is your children who are going to suffer the consequences the most.
This is because kids take time to strengthen their immune systems. As a result, you need to be extremely careful and concerned about any potential health risks. And having bed bugs in your home can make it really difficult for you to do that.
These pets can not only be exceptionally irritating but can also affect your children’s overall quality of life.
Typically bed bugs have been linked to health risks such as triggering allergic reactions. These reactions involve abnormal heartbeat, fever, skin reactions, and having difficulty breathing.
Due to such reactions, your kids might feel trouble sleeping. Not only that, but psychologists have noticed that many people living with bed bugs can also suffer from a variety of health issues such as anxiety and depression.
And you wouldn’t want your kids to go through that. Right?
To avoid bed bug infestation, make sure you change and clean all beddings regularly. And if you spot any signs of bed bugs, make sure you contact pest control professionals as soon as possible. A Bed Bug Exterminator would inspect your home thoroughly and use reliable solutions to get rid of the potential infestation. Not to mention, the team will also help you with some preventive measures to avoid any future bed bug infestation.
Head lice are one of the common pests kids have a hard time dealing with. Not only does it spread rapidly from one person to another, but it is also very tough to get rid of it completely.
The bites of such pests can make your children’s scalp itchy and irritate. Health experts suggest that scratching your head time and again can also lead to infection.
You should know that lice are parasites that thrive off your children’s blood. Thus, it is better to get rid of the infestation as soon as possible and prevent them from spreading.
Here are some steps that can help you with that.
- First of all, you would need to teach your kids to avoid head-to-head contact. Ask them to avoid sharing combs, hats, and pillows at school.
- In case of an infestation, you can use a shampoo that contains olive or coconut oil.
- After you are done with that, brush through the damp hair. The process can be done by dividing the hair into sections.
- In the end, wash all the clothes, pillowcases, sheets, and everything else in the house to prevent the pest from spreading.
Mosquitoes are another common pests that can pose severe health risks for your children.
From dengue to malaria, they are responsible for spreading many health diseases.
In order to keep your home free of them, make sure all the rooms, especially where your kids spend most of their time, are cleaned. You can use stagnant water to reduce the number of mosquitoes in the house.
Also, look for all the potential openings, such as broken windows or doors that might act as a pathway for mosquitoes.
You can also use mosquito repellents to avoid their bites. In the end, try not to leave your garbage and food uncovered, as they are some of the prominent reasons that attract mosquitoes.
To sum it all up,
Pest infestation in your home can pave the way for various diseases and property damage. That’s why it is important to steer clear of them.
So, use the tips mentioned above to bug-free your home and keep your little ones safe.