A colostomy belt is usually after going through a surgical operation that involves the large intestine is taken out through an opening, which is also called a stoma in the abdominal wall as a result, stools, and gas in the intestine drain when moving without passing through the rectum, they drain through the stoma and into the bag that would be attached to the abdomen. There are things to look out for before buying a colostomy belt.
Why a colostomy is needed
Colostomy surgery is usually done as a result of cancer, for cancers like prostate, ovarian, and cervical cancer. Usually, during the surgery, the doctor might be required to remove some parts of the intestine if the patient’s surgery causes an abdominal infection, or the large intestine gets damaged or blocked, and if the large intestine ends up getting removed. Usually, the patient may need to use a colostomy belt for the short term or permanently.
These belts are usually used to help support colostomy appliances that would be attached to the stoma to pass out waste, the belt is usually attached to the colostomy bag and is then wrapped around the patient’s abdomen. These colostomy belts come in various types, textures, sizes, designs, and forms, which is why Before getting a colostomy belt it is advisable you lookout for a flexible, comfortable belt that is made with a breathable material because you would need to wear it all the time day and even at night which is why you need to get something you’re comfortable with that will let you move freely and carry out your daily activities without any discomfort, one that can engage in any form of exercise including running and swimming. And the colostomy belt should also be flexible, durable, and expandable.
Benefits of using a colostomy belt
- Colostomy belts provide comfortability as it helps to hold the colostomy pouch in place, and prevents it from moving around which is likely to make it leak.
- It also helps prevent skin problems like rashes which your colostomy bag may cause due to moving around especially for people with sensitive skin.
- It makes you feel comfortable, as they make you feel light and it stays on your body securely, it is also not visible under clothes, this way you have free to go on with your day to day activities without having to worry about leakage or any other discomfort.
- It helps to protect your colostomy bag by holding it down securely on your stomach
- By holding down the pouch, also helps to release the stoma from tension.
When dealing with a colostomy, it is advisable to change your pouch regularly, and different pouches have a period of time they can last for, some can last for a day, some 3 days and some can even last up to a week, but changing your colostomy pouch should be determined by how your body output routine is, you just have to know what works best for you.