A sectional sofa is a furniture that has separate pieces connected by hooks and latches. They are usually used connected together in homes, but they are also designed to detach for easy moving and rearranging. With this, they have the appeal of being an all-in-one seating solution. They are versatile pieces of furniture that you can take advantage of to make a space more usable or navigableor to simply freshen up a room.
If you have sectional sofas at home and you want to rearrange your space and use them separately, we are here to help you. Today, we are going to give you tips and ideas on how you can use your sectional sofa separately.
How to Separate aSectional Sofa
The attachment or connection of sectional sofas may vary depending on the style. There are sectional sofas that can slide apart easily, while some are attached together with bolts and screws. If you have the latter, then you can use a screwdriver or a wrench to disassemble the sections. You just need to make sure that you use slides under the feet of the sofa to protect your floor from getting scratched, and as well as your back from being strained.
Different Ways to Use Your Sectional Sofa Separately
Here are the different ways on how you can use your sectional sofa separately to give your space a fresh and a more spacious look.
- Place the sectional sofas across the table: If your sectional sofa only has two pieces, one large piece and a slightly smaller one that joins together in a corner, you can consider placing them across from each other to create a cozy look, and as well as to encourage conversation. You can place a coffee table in between the sectional pieces. It can be used as an area to place beverages. Make sure that the table you will use is the appropriate size, and also leaves room for you to pass on either side. You can also add a rug between them, and a few throw pillows, as well, which can help tie them together.
- Push the sectional pieces apart at the juncture, then insert coordinating cube hassocks: If your problem is that your sectional sofa does not provide enough seating in your living room, you can solve this by pushing them apart and inserting a few coordinating cube hassocks in between the spaces, to create additional seating. Aside from that, the additional hassocks can also be used as a spot to set beverages if needed. But keep in mind that this option is only best for those rooms that can accommodate even larger pieces of furniture.
- Place the sectional pieces in separate areas: If your space is not enough to accommodate separate sectional sofa pieces near each other where they can work together, you can also opt to place them in different areas of the room. For example, you can create two distinct areas in a space using the sectional pieces. The larger piece can be placed in the main section of the room, where it will be used a lot for seating. Then, the smaller piece can be placed on a quiet corner, which you can use for reading.
- Mix and match different sectional sofas: If you have two or more sectional sofas at home that differ in color and design, you can also mix and match them to create a new ambiance for your space. It will add a comfy and will make the sofas more functional. Aside from that, it will also add a bit of surprise to your space.
- Leave the main section of your sofa facing the focal point of the room: The main or largest section of your sofa can be placed in the center of the space, facing the focal point, like a television, window, or a fireplace. If your sectional sofa has two long, straight sections, then you can face them toward one another. If your sofa has an arm on one side and none on the other, you can place a small side table on the armless side to balance the look.
- Place the corner or chaise of the sectional sofa angled toward the middle of the room with the other section of the sofa. Once you’ve settled the main section of your sofa and as well as the one that can be a stand-alone chair, you will be left with the corner or chaise. You can place this piece in the middle of the room, with the other section of the sofa, coffee table, and focal point of the room all in its view. You can place it in a corner on the same side of the room as the other section, or on the opposite side of the room. This depends on how big your space is and the number of other furniture you have in that area. If your two straight sections are facing each other, you can also place the chaise at the open end to enclose a U-shaped seating area.
Things to Consider
If you are using your sectional sofa separately in a room, you can unify them using a large area rug. This will help ground the seating area and prevent the individual sections from looking isolated.
If your sectional sofa has reclining back or an extendable footrest, you also need to consider that in your room arrangement. Make sure that you leave enough space around the sofa, so you can easily walk around them, even when they are reclined or extended.
The sections of your sofa should also be placed away from the walls. This will help in creating a more intimate and unified room, even if you’ve already separated the sections.
These are some of the best tips and ideas we can give on how you can use your sectional sofa separately. All of these ideas will surely give your room a fresh look and a more spacious feel.