The last thing any homeowner wants to deal with is mold. With the seemingly endless varieties of molds, it can be confusing as to whether the mold you are dealing with is a health concern or just another pesky chore to take care of. Mold can wreak havoc on your health, the health of your family, as well as that of your pets. So, should you break out the bleach and water solution, or call in a professional to take care of your mold issue?
There are a few types of common household molds:
- White Mold
- Green or Black Mold
- Pink Mold
White mold, says Mold Across America, can consist of many different types of molds and is recognizable by its characteristic white color. This group of mold types is typically harmless to your health unless you have a specific mold allergy.
Green or Black Mold
Green or black mold is what commonly comes to mind when you think of a mold problem. The harmful strain of black mold Stachybotrys chartarum is typically a dark green color. Not all black-colored molds are of this strain and may not pose any health risk. In this situation, it is important to have a professional perform tests to ascertain the risks.
Pink mold is typically found in bathrooms and is the result of high moisture levels, poor air circulation, and low light levels. It can cause those with mold allergies to experience unpleasant symptoms. It can rarely cause other, more serious health issues in sensitive individuals.
Eliminating Mold Growth
The most effective way of dealing with mold is to eliminate its growth in the first place. The key to this is eliminating as much moisture as possible in your home. Ventilation is key in areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, and crawlspaces. For basements, it is paramount that you seal walls against moisture. Also, using a dehumidifier will help to reduce excessive moisture.
Once molds have proliferated within your home, they are extremely difficult to eliminate without the expertise of a professional.
When to Call a Professional
If the mold you are experiencing is black or greenish you should immediately call a professional. They will have the ability to perform tests to determine if the mold is toxic. They will also have all of the equipment necessary to abate toxic mold safely so that other areas are not contaminated.
If you are experiencing large areas of any type of mold, or several different areas are affected by mold, you should contact a professional. Mold can spread quickly and if it is not abated correctly, you could be dealing with a recurring situation. The best solution is to have a professional take care of the issue correctly the first time.
Finally, if you or anyone in your household has health issues it is best to call a professional. Those with conditions such as mold allergies, individuals with compromised immune systems or pulmonary function, or those suffering from asthma could experience very serious health concerns if exposed to any type of mold. It is very important to remove contaminated materials from the home and make sure that no portion of the mold is left behind. A professional will be best able to address this situation quickly and effectively.