You can never compromise the safety of your family. That is why wireless security camera systems are getting more and more popular these days.
A wireless security camera is like a web camera. But the difference is that you can place it anywhere you want it. You can strategically place it around the house. When you are away, either on work or on vacation, you can still watch.
If you are out and nobody’s home, you can even set it to send you alerts for motions detected. This way you know that there is an unwanted visitor like a burglar attempting to go inside. Also be sure to learn more about what attracts burglars to homes as well.
Others use their security cameras to check on their children left at home with nannies. This can give you better peace of mind, knowing you can check your children anytime.
Security cameras are also used for business purposes. If you have employees working for you, you can easily check them.
How should security camera systems be set-up?
Your security camera should be securely set-up on your preferred network. This is to ensure no unauthorized access and ‘hacking’ happen.
For you to be able to view your house or business remotely, you also need internet connection. You also need to download an application. From the app, you can now check on your premises.
Before, security systems were a bit too technical for most people to set-up. Nowadays, wireless security cameras are much simpler to install and use. They come with software. The software allows you to remotely access the photos or videos. You can view these ‘live’ or on your selected dates and time.
Now, even if you are in another part of the world, you can still check on your premises. Of course, you and your cameras need to connect to the internet
How are these security cameras connected to the network?
This part might be a little technical. But we will try to explain. Cameras can now be connected via Wi-fi. Unlike before, where there are too many Ethernet cables around. Now, you don’t have to worry where you place the cameras.
Some cameras even use batteries. This makes the cameras now wireless or ‘wire-free’. You can easily move them from one area to another whenever you want them.
While wi-fi is more common, some still opt to use ethernet cable. This is because this provides a faster and more stable connection. You can directly plug the cable to the ethernet port of the camera.
Motion Sensing Feature
Once a motion is detected, the security camera will take a picture and/or video for about 30 seconds or less. The application will already notify you via SMS or email. Then you check the picture or video sent to you. These images or videos can be stored on your hard drive or cloud. This way, you still check them at a later time.
Factors to Consider
The security camera usually comes with an ethernet cable and power supply. It also has a wall mount with screws and a manual for the instructions on how to use it. In selecting your security camera system, consider the following:
• Resolution: How clear is the resolution? Do you want a high-definition resolution? This affects the quality, upload, or downloading speed.
• Power: Some cameras run on batteries. You can opt for rechargeable batteries. Other cameras can be plugged into the main power. Check the length of the power cable.
• Networking: Choose if you want to use ethernet cable or Wi-fi. As discussed ethernet cable gives you a faster and better connection. Wi-fi is more for portability.
• Night vision: Check if it has the night vision using infrared LED. This way, even if it is completely dark, you can still clearly see.
• Microphone and Speaker: Some come with a microphone. You can hear the sounds. This is useful for those with babies or children left at the house. Or if you have employees or household members you want to hear or talk to.
• Movement: How flexible do you want the camera to be? Many can pan, tilt, and zoom. You can use a remote control to do this.
• Storage: For bigger storage, you can use a local hard drive. You can also store it on the cloud. Some also have built-in storage. For others, you need to buy a memory card to record. The choice of the type of storage depends on your need. If you need to save them for a longer period of time, get a bigger storage space rather than the typical memory cards.
• Mounting: Where will you place the cameras? The cameras can be wall-mounted. It can also sit on a flat surface.
• Expandability and upgradability: Check if the system can be expanded to add cameras and sensors.
• Remote control: You can remotely access or control. Or you can just have a viewing feature
• Monitoring: Choices are monitored via web browser or mobile application.
• Image clarity: Check out various options on clarity for daytime, low-light or night-time.
• Motion detection: This is a good feature you can have if you need it. Check first the capabilities and restrictions.
• Alerts: You can opt for an SMS or email alert. Do you need to be alerted for movement or also sound?
• Adjustable frame rates: This is good for quality and file sizes that you need to record and stream.
• Other costs: Companies can add other service costs. This may include cloud storage and other subscriptions for storage and access.
If you want to know more about security camera systems, contact Casa Security.